about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project: felt scallop pencil tube

pencil tube

Whenever I'm out, I like to make sure that I have a way to jot down or sketch out ideas that come along. You really never know when they'll turn up, so having paper and writing tools is important. Usually, I have a few pens and pencils of varying types, and until now, I've kept them in a case for my sunglasses. With my sunglasses. Not ideal...so I decided I needed something similar, but designated only for drawing equipment.

A full case that closes isn't really what I wanted, because I like to just reach into my bag and be able to grab a pencil. I wanted something that would just keep them handy, but tidy. This pencil tube was my solution.

pencil tube

If you'd like a pencil tube, here's what you need:
Felt in two colors (the second color is optional, but I rather like it!)
Embroidery floss
Scissors
Needle
Pins
Hole punch (optional, but fun!)
Pencil Tube template PDF

pencil tube

Use the template to cut a large piece from felt, then cut down the template and cut a smaller piece of scallop. This pink felt is some that I dyed myself!

You don't have to be too fussy with the scallops. They look cute when they are a little bit funky.

pencil tube

Layer the small scallop behind the large piece, roll it into a tube. Make sure that there is at least 1/4" overlap past the scalloped part.

pencil tube

Stitch the tube along the overlap using a running stitch. It's a good idea to peek inside the tube with each stitch, just to make sure you're catching all three layers of felt.

pencil tube

Check to be sure that your tube is still approximately the same size as the circle template. If it is, cut out a circle of felt with the template. If not, adjust the size of the circle when you cut it out.

Stitch the circle onto the one end of the tube. I used a whip stitch.

pencil tube

With your hole punch, punch some holes along the scallops. This one makes 1/8" holes. You could also do this before you stitch it all together, which would be easier if you want to make more holes further in from the edge.

pencil tube
pencil tube

Fill your pencil tube, and add it to your purse or bag!

pencil tube

Simple things like this make me happy...especially when they have little details like this does. Now I'm wanting to take some of the elements from this (scallop flap, punched felt, etc.) and apply them to other ideas...I best get to work!

pencil tube

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:17 AM

    cute, cute, CA-UTE!! It's one of those "Wish I had thought of that" thingys. Thanks! What a quick, great gift idea, too--I am thinking teacher friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! I need a new pencil holder for my desk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whaaaaaaaaaaat? A hole punch works on felt? Really?!!! (Going to go try it now--this is amazing :)

    p.s. I LOVE the tube idea...I have a TON of pencil pouches (mostly because I worked at a Japanese company where all of the Japanese ladies had the BEST pencil pouches) but some of them are so complicated that it takes 20 minutes to "grab" a pencil :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was doing a search for felt with holes in it, and saw a reference to using a hole punch on felt. I thought, this can't work...but it did! So far, this is the only punch I've used, but more trial will be happening!

      Delete
  4. you make the cutest, cutest things! I love this!


    grace
    http://herumbrella.com
    http://posheventplanning.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to repeat myself - MOLLIE, YOU COME UP WITH THE GREATEST IDEAS!!! Yes, I yelled it this time.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, gals! Necessity can bring about some of my favorite ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a simple, quick but useful craft - my favourite sort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:29 PM

    Super cute! Do you have a special hole punch? I've tried mine before with very messy results...oh well, perhaps mine is just dull?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one you see in the photo is what I used. It's a Fiskars, designed for paper. I've used it a fair amount on both paper and fun foam before, so it's probably not really sharp anymore, but it worked really well. I wouldn't have high hopes for the regular office supply punches that we have around my house, but this (designed for scrapbooking kinds of things), did the trick!

      Delete
  9. Super cute! Love those colors too! I'd love for you to link up & share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/03/pinteresting-party-week-31.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so sweet! Thanks for sharing! :) You're so creative! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is so cute! and exactly what i need for my bag, i'm always scrambling to find a pen or pencil. thank you for this :)

    lily

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooooh! This is just so adorable, I must make me one!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!